This pen and ink portrait took the place of a royal coat-of-arms on the original charter of 1656.
Granted livery (founded) in 1656, the Needlemakers is one of the London livery companies which sprang from ancient craft guilds.
The Worshipful Company of Needlemakers is Number 65 in the order of precedence of the Livery Companies of the City. Further information on its history is to be found in the About Us section.
The principal aims of the company are now:
- to provide a link to the industry and its modern offshoots
- to dispense charitable funds to deserving causes
- to maintain links with the City and other livery companies and to support the Lord Mayor
- to create a friendly environment in which likeminded people may socialise
The Needlemakers was the first of only two livery companies to be granted its charter by Oliver Cromwell. This charter (more properly Letters Patent) and the later royal one granted by Charles II in 1664 are housed for safe-keeping in the library at the City of London Guildhall, where they may be seen on request. Find out more about the City livery companies.
The Company is governed by its Master, appointed annually, and by its Court of Assistants. Find out more in the People section.