The Worshipful Company of Needlemakers was granted its first Charter by Oliver Cromwell in 1656, the first of only two such Commonwealth Charters. After the Restoration, a Royal Charter was granted by King Charles II in 1664.
The Company is one of 110 Livery Companies in the City of London at number 65 in the order of precedence. We have historic links to the needlemaking industry, although few UK manufacturers remain. We continue our tradition of support for the Lord Mayor and the City of London and our charitable giving supports organisations and individuals associated with the use of needles as well as education. Our Liverymen (up to 250) enjoy good fellowship at a busy programme of events at a variety of venues: we do not have our own hall.
The first recorded use of needles was Adam and Eve sewing fig leaves together